Custom Item Limit in WordPress Menu
As anyone who knows me is aware, I encounter a lot of computer problems in my day-to-day life. Things rarely seem to work out, and no matter how much time and effort I put in to mastering WordPress and WordPress-related things, I never seem to learn anything helpful. It’s as if my brain has reached a technical memory limit. It simply refuses to process or retain useful information about computers anymore.
The most recent problem I encountered is an inability to add new items to the menu at the top of this blog. Whenever I add a new item to the menu, strange things happen. For one thing, the entire menu disappears. I realized that the menu I selected for my WordPress theme was simply being deselected. But when I re-selected my custom menu, I found that the last items I added to my menu had vanished.
I did a lot of research, and I encountered many other people having the same problem. There appeared to be a limit to the number of items you can have in a WordPress menu. The number I encountered most often was 89. You can have 89 items in your menu, and that’s all. Add one more, two more, ten more, and those items are simply deleted. It IS possible to add them through the WordPress dashboard. I can add as many items as I want. However, when I SAVE that menu, a bunch of menu items disappear.
An important thing, I realized, is that it wasn’t the most recently added items that disappeared. It was always the last items in the menu structure that disappeared. If I added ten new items and then moved them up into the menu hierarchy, they would remain in place. The last ten items in the menu list would disappear regardless of when they were added.
Other people who had this problem were told that this was not a problem with WordPress per se. It was related to the server, and the solution was to change a couple of variables in the php.ini file. I won’t include the technical details here, because I wouldn’t want anyone to think that I have any idea of what I’m talking about and replicate what I tried. I don’t have any idea what a “php.ini” file is to begin with.
I contacted my hosting provider, and they were great. They went into my php.ini file and made the changes that everyone said would solve the problem. Unfortunately, in my case, it didn’t. I still had the problems with adding new items to the menu. I’m currently working with the wonderful people at my hosting provider, and we are trying to figure out how to get past this limit for the custom menus.
Clearly, a better solution would be not to have such a complex menu structure. I’m trying to use the WordPress menu system in a way that was never intended. But that’s what I do.
Update: My hosting provider doesn’t have any more suggestions for fixing this problem. They were able to replicate the problem, but they don’t know what is causing it. They suggested that I contact the WordPress.org support site for other options. Guess it’s back to more research.